Friday, January 28, 2022

A new piece from an old adventure.

 A tribute to "Twilights Peak".

I was always fond of the octagon tower from Twilights Peak and I would often wonder if I could build my version of the tower to use in my wargames.  So here is a picture history of my build.

Here is the LBB of the adventure with my building material behind it.  A double wide box of Rice Krispies.
The cardboard from the doublewide box was very stiff compared to a single cereal box.

I first cut eight strips of cardboard each two inches by six and one half inches.  As it turned out I made a miscalculation about the building height by about 2 inches, oh well.

I then used masking tape to hold the pieces together.  

This the building with all eight pieces taped together.

I then cut a piece of cardboard two inches by five inches and glued it to opposite internal sides.

I cut a second two by five piece and glued it across this made the building take on it's octagon shape and required no more supports.
I also applied masking tape to the outer corners of the building for added strength.  I then traced out a piece for the roof then cut it out and glued it on.

These strips were half an inch wide and are going to be cut into one inch lengths.

Here are the first one hundred cardboard pieces I will use as fake bricks for the building.

Here is the first side with its faux bricks applied.

For the corner pieces I simply bend some of the cardboard pieces then glued them in place.

Yet more fake bricks and the double wide door.  Placing then gluing the almost two hundred bricks in place became quite tedious but I persevered.
I added a small raised section to the roof to match the diagrams from the adventure.  I also added a small piece to represent the chimney.
Here I began to paint the area between the bricks to help bring out the detail.

The first of eight walls painted.

Now two walls and one of two windows.  I painted the windows light blue to represent illumination from within.

Three walls.

Now four walls and the second window.  As you can see I had some trouble with keeping the spacing perfect but to paraphrase Mel Brooks "I'm working with cardboard here!"

Wall five and the double door.

Wall six.

Wall seven.

And finally wall eight.

I glued some black flock onto the lower roof section to make it look like most flat roofs in use today.

Now some 15mm figures for scale.

The building is five inches wide and six and one half inches tall.  

Here is a view of the two windows.

And now a close up of the roof.

This was interesting to build and I plan on using it in some future games and also in my Traveller comic.  This actually my second attempt to make this building the first was destroyed by a dog who I guess thought it was a chew toy.  Luckily that one was in it's early days of construction.




No comments:

Post a Comment