Saturday, September 14, 2019

Tickets please. . .

While the 50 ton cutter has been called the workhorse of the Imperium the other unsung workhorse is the passenger shuttle.  I had some stuff laying around the house that kind of reminded me of the shuttle shape so I decided to try and make one.  It has no interior so it will be used as a tabletop terrain feature. Here are a few pics of the building of my little spaceship.
The cardboard is called chip board I got from one of those home craft stores.  It is used as backing for pictures in frames.  Much thinner than box cardboard and easier to work with.

I had a candy plastic snack container, cut it in half and superglued it to the cardboard.  I was surprised how well the glue worked.  I used white school glue to fill in where the plastic and cardboard met for a better look.  It took about three applications of glue.

Here I added the tail fins and some support for the nose for the next step.

The white paper is index card stock I glued in place and the nose is from the cap of a stick deodorant I cut to fit.

I cut a piece of chip board to cover the opening in the rear of the ship.

To make it look like there are some control surfaces on the wings I cut some more index card and used a glue stick.

A view of the aft.

A use for pin striping tape.  Just to make it look like there is a windshield.

A view of the mostly finished shuttle.  The white stripe down the side was made using more of the pin striping tape. 

And another view.

For the engine cowling I used one of the caps from a medication I take.  It did require a little alteration.


A picture for scale.  Some old 15mm Martian Metal figures and a Khurasan Super Heavy grav tank.  

I plan on using this in some upcoming convention or two.  I know it's not perfect but I am happy with it.  I did eyeball about how big to make the shuttle.  Compared to the Scout I made years ago I think it looks about the right size.

4 comments:

  1. I think you got the dimensions about right, nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant inspiring work THANKS for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must say, you do nice work. Hope to see this at Travellercon next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope to have 1 or two done by then. And thank you.

    ReplyDelete